About Me

Hey!! I am originally from Hanover, Minnesota, but when I was 7 I moved to Jacksonville, Florida. I now reside in Tallahassee and attend Florida State University. I cheered all through high school, and continue to cheer at FSU. GO NOLES!!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Post #1

This first chapter of the text was actually kind of interesting to read. The beginning was lots of history on computers and other media, and I found it funny that the iphone was shown in the text. The International Society for Technology in Education is a nonprofit group that promotes using technology to improve teaching and learning. The ISTE has standards for teachers, school administrators and students. The standards for teachers define the fundamental concepts, knowledge, skills and attitudes for applying technology in the K-12 educational setting. The standards for school administrators, and the standards for students are organized into separate categories, but I will not describe them. Digital students are kids who are (1) hypercommunicators who use multiple tools to communicate, (2) multitaskers who do several things at once with ease, and (3) goal oriented as they pursue multiple goals at the same time. Today's generation is full of these digital students, and reading the section discussing digital students helped me to understand how to teach. John M. Keller's ARCS Motivational Model stressed that even the best designed teaching strategy will fail if the students are not motivated to learn. The ARCS stands for Attention, Relevance, Challenge/Confidence and Satisfaction/Success. I completely agree with Keller's model. Lastly, schools use computers in every aspect of teaching, from the superintendent to the parents. Computers are used to communicate within schools and also with parents. There are also many other uses for each individual.

I have learned some new skills already this week. I haven't tried the SAM practice test yet, I am doing that after posting my blog, but I did already make my test (Assignment #2). I enjoyed that a lot! I added several shapes into my test, and I even added a graphic. I am very proud of the way my test came out, because I did not think that it would be as good as I made it. Also, in class last week when we went through in groups teaching each other something that we were assigned to figure out I learned several new things, or new ways of doing things I already knew how to do. I played around with Microsoft 2007 a bit, and I figured out how to use charts and graphs. I would say that for a first week I have already learned lots of new, helpful techniques, and I can't wait to learn more!

Well, I am also taking EDF1005 at the same time as this course, and I am very excited because I can start signing up for some of my service learning hours. I am debating on the different levels and everything, and I think I am also interested in visiting a special needs school. I can't wait to go to my first service learning and meet some of the students and teachers! If anyone else is doing this as well, let me know if you get a good class to visit! Actually, I think right now it's only after-school programs, but still let me know if it is fun!

1 comment:

jgentile said...

Valerie, Hope the SAM stuff doesn't give all of us a headache. You will have to share with the class how everything went with your students.