About Me

Hey!! I am originally from Hanover, Minnesota, but when I was 7 I moved to Jacksonville, Florida. I now reside in Tallahassee and attend Florida State University. I cheered all through high school, and continue to cheer at FSU. GO NOLES!!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Post #2

In Chapter 3 I learned that application software, also known as application programs, consists of programs designed to perform specific tasks for users. It can be used for many purposes, for example: as a productivity tool (word processing, spreadsheets), to assist with graphics and multimedia projects (paint/image editing), to support school and professional activities (grade book, note taking), to help with home and personal activities (personal finance, tax preparation, entertainment), and to facilitate communications (e-mail, chat rooms, blogs). I read about how to apply software, and also how to work with it. Productivity software is designed to make people more effective and efficient while performing daily activities. This software includes applications dealing with word processing, spreadsheet, personal information management, etc. I read how to use the different types of productivity software and got examples of what to use them for. Because I don't know much about presentation graphics software, I liked reading about that... I've always wanted to figure out how to use PowerPoint better! I also thought it was funny that they had PDA software in the textbook, I didn't even know they offered programs like that. Lastly there was the graphics and editing software. I have tried to work with this kind of stuff on my own in the past, like putting together a video and everything. I like that software, because I feel like you can make things more personal. I really liked reading the "End of Chapter" section. I learned several different things that I can actually use for when I begin to teach. There are different pages that give information on things like education issues, software and digital media programs to use.

The main thing that I have learned since my last posting was probably the newsletter. I haven't finished mine yet, but it has been a very fun learning experience. In class we went over the different aspects of visually making the newsletter, and on my own I've done some experimenting to make it more fun looking. I can certainly use a newsletter in my classes. In class we also went over many of the SAM questions, because SAM isn't working on many people's computers. Going over those questions I learned a lot more about Windows XP, and the terminology that it uses. Also, through reading the chapter I did come across a couple things. I said I liked the "End of Chapter" section, ,and in there I found an interest in a software called PrimeTime Math. Reading about the program it seems very good, and I would love to try it out. Also, Thinkology was another software listed. It helps K-3 students, so I would be interested in checking that out too.

Well, my sister graduated from the University of Florida as an Elementary Education major, and then got her Masters in special education. She has her own classroom at a school linked with Nova University. She is teaching kindergartners with autism, although she doesn't have any severe cases. She has told me about her classroom and some of the fun activities that she has done lately, especially around the holidays. I am actually using some of the pictures she took in her classroom in my newsletter. She also tells me that they have a certain days of the week they just put shaving cream all over their tables and they play with it for a little while. It is meant to improve their motor skills. They also have a day that they get to go play out in the fountain outside. I am hoping to go visit her in her classroom sometime soon, because I feel like it would be a really great experience for me... and they seem to have a ton of fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet! Let us know more about what your sister is doing. Each chapter has a section in the end about technology for students with special needs. There is just SO MUCH out there today that its kind of overwhelming if your not careful. BTW; didn't know you cheered for FSU. Does that mean you have to travel alot?

Margaret said...

I loved how your sister using the shaving cream on the desks! When I was in 4th grade, my teacher used to do this at the end of each month as a sort of "celebration" of one more passing month. It was her way of "cleaning" the desks, haha. Not quite sure if it actually worked or not-- but it was fun to say the least! She sounds like a really creative, fun teacher. I'm interested to see what else she does, and get some great ideas! See you Wednesday! :)