About Me

Hey!! I am originally from Hanover, Minnesota, but when I was 7 I moved to Jacksonville, Florida. I now reside in Tallahassee and attend Florida State University. I cheered all through high school, and continue to cheer at FSU. GO NOLES!!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Chapter 2 Post

The main idea discussed in Chapter 2 is communication, sometimes called telecommunication. Communication is a process in which two or more computers or devices transfer data, instructions and informations. A communicatinos network is a group of computers and other equipment that is organized to share data, informations, hardware and software. A basic communications system consists of two computers, communications devices, a communications channel and communications software. Communication uses digital and analog signals to represent data. There are several types of modems in use today. For example, internal modems, network interface cards(NIC's), local area networks(LAN), wireless networks(WLAN), wide area networks(WAN), and home networks. Many schools have installed networks. The world's largest network is the Internet, a worldwide collection of networks that link together millions of bussinesses, educational institutes, goverments and individuals. The networks within the Internet are considered nets. The Internet allows us to do many great and complex things. The end of the chapter dicusses a lot about web pages and the World Wide Web. It was interesting, but it is a lot to discuss. I am excited to learn more about it and make out own web pages. The end of the chapter also touches on a few different aspects of the internet, like e-mail, message boards, chat rooms and instant messaging.

This week I learned several things. For starters, the webhunt brushed up my skills on an internet search engine. Also, I took the SAM Microsoft Word 2007 Practice Test and learned quite a bit. I already know some of the information, and I learned a couple of the new actions, and still don't know a few that I got wrong. Lastly, from the book I tried to interpret and take things that I could use in my classroom. Getting the kids involved in the internet would be fun! I saw the ePal website and I think it is neat. For anyone interested, on pages 132-134 there is a list of search tools that are reccommended for/by teachers.

I've started signing up for some of my service learning hours and I'm getting excited! So far I've signed up for a couple hours in Middle school health, Middle school science, and Middle/High school web design & computers. I'm really looking forward to working in the elementary level, but those slots haven't opened yet. I'm looking into going to Florida State High School and spending a couple of hours in one of their education classes because aside from Elementary Education, I want to loko into teaching high school child development course so that I can coach cheerleading! Ha! Also, Margaret and I are giong to try to set up som hours going to a Catholic school. I'm very excited about my service learning!

1 comment:

jgentile said...

Rebecca was asking who else was doing their service learning... might want to check her blog.