About Me

Hey!! I am originally from Hanover, Minnesota, but when I was 7 I moved to Jacksonville, Florida. I now reside in Tallahassee and attend Florida State University. I cheered all through high school, and continue to cheer at FSU. GO NOLES!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Chapter 5 Blog

Chapter 5 was about integrating digital media and educational software applications. The term "mulitmedia" means "more than one media." This implies that it has a variety of elements, including text, graphics, audio, video and animation. Multimedia was not always digital. Digital media is defined as technologies that allow users to create new forms of interaction, expression communication and entertainment in a digital format. There is digital media software and interactive digital media available to us today. A digital media application involves the use of digital media technology in education, business and entertainment. This can include computer-based or web-based training, electronic books/references, how-to guides, digital media newspapers, magazines and journals, entertainment, virtual reality, kiosks, world wide web, schooling, and professional development training. An educational software application refers to computer software products used to support teaching and learning of subject-related content. This can come in practice software, educational games, tutorials, etc. There are several different applications, like creativity, critical-thinking, early learning, ESL/foreign language, language arts, math, science, and social studies. Digital media presentations can be presented on data projectors or interactive whiteboards.

I never really learned how to use PowerPoint, I just kind of figured out what I needed to on my own whenever I needed to use it through high school - which wasn't very often. So this week I certainly learned a bit more abour PowerPoint from the videos and completing an assignment that actually had guidelines for what was needed in my PowerPoint. Working in a K-2 grade level I don't know that I will really get much use out of PowerPoints, but I'm sure I could find a couple uses. For example, maybe to use as a presentation for the parents for orientations and/or other events. Also, I could probably find at least one thing that's fun and interesting to do with PowerPoint that the kids could watch and learn from.

I have started my service learning, and it was fun. I went to a middle school classroom on Friday and spent about an hour and a half in there. It was a health class, and they were playing Jeopardy to study for a test. For any of you wanting to teach middle schoolers, all I have to say is... GOOD LUCK!! There were like 20 kids packed in this small classroom, and they were so talkative - and quite rude to one another! I would never be able to put up with all that! For those that think handling elementary school children is hard, go spend time in a middle school classroom. Ha, I guess little 5-year-olds are more my thing! See you all in class!!

No comments: